The question we get asked often after describing our product is, “Why a glass straw?”
1. A glass straw from Simply Straws is BPA free. BPA stands for bisphenol-A. BPA is found in polycarbonate plastics and epoxy resins. Studies have linked BPA to hormone disruption, increased breast and prostate cancer cell growth, early onset puberty, and obesity. Even the FDA is starting to backtrack on its claim that BPA is “safe”. The current federal exposure limit is at 50 micrograms of BPA per day per kilogram of body weight, but there are some studies showing that lower dosages than that are harmful. Recently, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found that nearly 93% of Americans older than 6 had detectable amounts of BPA in their urine.
2. Single use plastics have got to go. A single use plastic item is something that you use only once and then it gets tossed away. Some well known examples include plastic bags and to-go containers from restaurants.
Have you ever stopped to think of the plastic straw inside that to-go cup? Do you know of anyone who takes it out, washes it, and uses it again?
We don’t either.
They get thrown into the trash once the cup is empty. Think of how many people order a drink with their food and imagine how many straws are out there in our landfills and in our oceans. Thankfully there are many groups that help clean up and protect the outdoor spots where we play, but it’s up to all of us to reduce the amount of plastic being thrown away in the first place!
3. A straw can help your teeth. Having a straw can reduce the contact between your drink and your teeth. The dental community has become aware even those on a healthy diet are prone to acid wear of teeth, a worrisome escalating trend. Erosion of the enamel on your teeth can make them more sensitive to temperatures and also makes your teeth more prone to decay. Using a glass straw helps minimize contact with the teeth and helps reduce the effects of acid on tooth enamel, while removing the harmful exposure to BPA that would be found in an ordinary plastic straw.
4. Our glass straws will work with any kind of drink temperature. Whether you are enjoying a chilled beverage in the warm sun or are drinking that incredible first cup of hot coffee morning, our straws can withstand it all. Some studies have shown that when plastic is heated, that is when toxins and chemicals leach off of the plastic. Our straws can take the heat and the cold and you will never have to worry.
5. Glass is simply beautiful. If you are someone who likes to throw dinner parties, host wine tasting parties, or just likes to have guests over, an elegant straw inside each cup enhances the beauty of the party. Not to mention, we also offer etching into each straw if you really wanted to add that personal effect.
Have any of you made the complete switch to glass? If so, what benefits have you found from it, and if not, which plastic items are you still using?